Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Village Lanes & Farmer's Markets

"From dewey lanes at morning,
Village Lane           watercolor on 140lb.paper  ~ eakf
the grapes sweet odors rise, 
at noon the roads all flutter
with yellow butterflies......."
Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1888)
    As we leave March and enter April, I revel in more things spring ~ the joys & wonders of.........


During our recent visit to Hill Country, we happened upon a number of open air markets ~ both Farmer's & Arts, and thoroughly enjoyed strolling through all. It was, however, a bit frustrating to see (but not be able to purchase) many of the delicious looking freshly grown produce because we were on the road. So-o-o....... when our local Spring Farmer's Market started up again ( this past weekend) I was there early with my basket in hand ! The weather was kind & I enjoyed catching up with some of my favorite vendors & checking out the new ones.
The market basket came home full, with fresh salad greens & fruits, some new "limited edition" handmade soaps ( vanilla orange) and some potted herb plants among other things. The bonus was discovering that my new fennel plant had a swallowtail caterpillar on it !!! Now the question was to plant or not to plant? Due to the high bird activity in our backyard habitat, I decided to resurrect my "classroom butterfly observation" container and nurture the caterpillar through it's stages inside. Today is day 4 from purchase and caterpillar has more than doubled in size :) & there are new shoots on the fennel plant so things are win- win right now.
      Connect this story with the fact that on Saturday I am involved in the official Grand Opening of our new Nature Center with the theme being "Celebrating Butterflies" and you can feel the serendipity. I do find it so interesting how things often tie together ~ if only we look for the threads !!
   So as I continue my love affair with "things spring" and focus on celebrating the beauty of Lepidoptera ~ my wish is for you to stroll down your own Village Lanes and find joy in the wonders of Nature.
Till again.......

No comments:

Post a Comment